One person out of 4 in the world is afraid to visit a dentist. Though this fear can be overcome using various methods. This article is about methods that help to overcome the fear of the dentist.
Dental office fear for each person having it means different things. Some people start to feel the pain only when remembering the procedures, others do not like smells of dentist’s offices or sounds of the drill. However, the phenomenon of the fear of the dentist has long been recognized. Specialists try to make communication with patients more pleasant, always inquire about their feelings, such techniques reduce stress. It is interesting that the United Kingdom has even installed a special telephone line for people who complain about the fear of a dentist. One of the initiators of these lines, Karen Coates argues that she receives dozens of calls from young and older people, who do not dare to visit the dentist’s office, but want to make the first step, which will help to overcome this fear.
Obviously, not only the psychological support helps to overcome the fear of dentists, but advanced tools as well. Most patients do not like dentists due to psychological trauma in childhood, such as feeling discomfort while wearing braces or the pain during office visits. Naturally unpleasant sensations are associated with sounds and smell. Thus, in modern dental surgeries, you can often hear music, much less noisy devices, and flowers growing on windowsills and polite behavior of staff with their clients. The pain is reduced by using anesthetics, effects of which disappear within a few hours and no discomfort is felt even during procedures such as dental prosthetics. Combining all these things, negative feelings that are experienced are softened and reduced.
8 advices that help to lessen the fear of the dentist
- Find a specialist dentist, who will communicate kindly and understand their patients. Ask friends, family members about their experience, when visiting certain specialists. Perhaps among these, there will be a dentist working with highly sensitive patients. Nowadays, there are those, who are really experienced dentists not only in their profession, but also the psychological field.
- When you find the right specialist, visit his/her office, inspect the environment and tell him/her about your fears. It is not necessary to get into the dentist’s chair for the first time.
- Select the earliest possible time for your visit. In this case, you will not have time to feel stress for the upcoming procedure, whether it is a prosthetic dentistry, a filling or an oral hygiene.
- During the first visit the dentist will only examine the condition of your teeth, so do not be afraid of a serious treatment. After the inspection listen to findings of a specialist and arrange further treatment.
- The visits to the dentist can bring someone who will support you in difficult moments. Dentist certainly will not object, if it will help facilitate procedures.
- You can bring someone, who will support you in difficult moments, to your visits to the dentist. The dentist will certainly not object, if it helps to facilitate procedures.
- Together with your dentist set a sign, by which the dentist understands that you need a break. The simplest sign can be one raised finger. This agreement will allow you to feel as the master of the situation. It is important to trust the specialist so the first inspection procedures and can be very simple and cause little pain. For example, tooth polishing.
- During the visit, you can have a Walkman with you and listen to your favorite music, which will help to divert your thoughts and relax.
Very nervous patients can be offered a procedure using special soothing gas. In more severe cases, intravenous sedatives are used, but these methods are advised to use very rarely and only in cases when advices in the beginning of the article do not help.
It is important to not overdose the sedatives, and to be more precise, sedatives should not be used arbitrary before visiting the dental office. Warn the specialist, if you feel uncomfortable, you can tell the cause of this fear, since modern dentists will offer countless solutions to solve the emerging psychological problems.